Head Coach Gary Patterson and the TCU Horned Frogs football team has had to replace a lot of talent from last year’s stellar offensive line.
The 2017 unit was among the best in the nation and led the Big 12 in fewest sacks allowed at just 1.3 per game. Four of those guys are now in the National Football League. Joseph Noteboom was drafted in the third round and is a member of the Los Angeles Rams. Matt Pryor was drafted in the sixth round and is on the Philadelphia Eagles roster. Austin Schlottmann and Patrick Morris were both picked up as free agents and are currently on practice squads. Schlottmann is with the Denver Broncos and Morris is with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
The 2017 guys are not the only TCU linemen in the NFL.
TCU has more offensive tackles in the NFL than any other program in the nation, with six. They are Marcus Cannon (New England Patriots), Aviante Collins (Minnesota Vikings), Marshall Newhouse (Carolina Panthers), Halapoulivaati Vaitai aka Big V (Philadelphia Eagles), Joseph Noteboom and Matt Pryor. They also have a starting center in Joey Hunt (Seattle Seahawks).
These guys are physical freaks.
These guys are fast. The skilled position players at TCU are not the only guys who can run. Watch Aviante Collins record the third fastest 40 yard dash time by a lineman, since 2003. This was at the 2017 NFL Combine.
These guys win Super Bowls.
The ladies love TCU Linemen.
2018 Offensive Line:
This year’s offensive line has had its work cut out for them. Many sports writers and football fans alike have said this will be the teams weakest link. It’s not due to a lack of talent. It’s the lack of playing experience. Let’s look at the statistics through the first four games of the 2018 campaign.
- The Horned Frogs top the Big 12 and are tied for ninth nationally in allowing an average of just 0.8 sacks per game.
- TCU is one of just 11 teams nationally who has played four games and allowed three or fewer sacks.
- The Frogs have had over 200 yards rushing in three of the four games, this season.
- TCU had 511 yards in total offense against #4 Ohio State. This is the most the Buckeyes have surrendered, in a game, in over 4 years.
- The Frogs average 204.5 yards rushing per game this season. This is third best in the Big 12.
- TCU is the least penalized team in the Big 12 with 38.2 yards in penalties per game.
- The Horned Frogs have run the ball 51.7% of the snaps and passed 48.3% of the snaps. It takes a versatile offensive line to have that type of balance.
The season is still young, and the line is improving every day. But overall, these guys are already getting it done.
LT #68 Jr. Anthony McKinney 6’8″, 314 pounds
#56 So. Austin Myers 6’5″, 303 pounds
LG #70 Jr. Cordel Iwuagwu 6’3″, 311 pounds
C #55 So. Kelton Hollins 6’2″, 292 pounds
RG #74 Sr. Chris Gaynor 6’5″, 295 pounds
#52 Sr. Trey Elliott 6’4″, 294 pounds
RT #77 Jr. Lucas Niang 6’7″, 328 pounds
TCU is Offensive Linemen U.
Go Frogs! Join the largest online TCU fan forum at KillerFrogs.com, to continue the conversation.